I tried marinating and baking tofu to go on top of this stir fry and it worked a treat! Got the idea from veganrecipes.com who was promoting @the_clumsy_vegan on instagram. (Serves two)
View this post on Instagram
stir fry I made the other day: baked soy-sauce-marinated tofu with vermicelli noodles & stir-fried cabbage, peppers + broccoli (topped with nigella seeds, sesame seeds, basil and spring onions), recipe will be on my blog 🌿 #vegan #veganrecipes #veganfood #stirfry #noodles #tofu #midweekmeals #lowimpact
You will need: 1 block of firm tofu (I used Tofoo) Arrowroot powder Olive oil Soy sauce Brown sugar Apple cider vinegar Sriracha A 1cm piece of ginger 2 nests of vermicelli noodles Purple cabbage Broccoli Orange pepper (if you want the colour contrast with the purple cabbage!) Nigella seeds Sesame seeds Spring onions Sesame oil Basil leaves
1) Dry the tofu off with a cloth and chop into cubes. Put these into a bowl and with 4 tbsp soy sauce, 4 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, a glug of apple cider vinegar and a glug of sriracha. Stir and let marinate for a bit.
2) Sprinkle arrowroot powder (1tbsp) over the marinated tofu, mix and then put onto a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil.
3) Bake the tofu in the oven at 180C for 30-35 mins, stirring after 15.
4) Meanwhile cook the noodles - cover with boiling water and leave for 4 mins, and stir fry chopped ginger, cabbage, pepper and broccoli in sesame oil.
5) Add a swig of soy sauce and apple cider vinegar as well as basil and sprinkle of arrowroot powder to the stir fried veg.
6) Add the cooked noodles to the veg and mix on the heat.
7) By now the tofu should be cooked! Serve on top of the stir fried veg and noodles. Top with sesame seeds, nigella seeds, basil leaves, and sliced spring onions.
The extra work marinating and baking the tofu is well worth it in this recipe, it brings so much flavour to the dish! Will definitely be doing this meal again.