I just got the recipe for this vegan moussaka from bbc goodfood. The link to it is here. It’s a really good recipe and I would highly recommend it. I only swapped the dried mint to thyme because I didn’t have any. I also roasted the sweet potato instead of boiling it!
View this post on Instagram
🍠🥒🍆🍄Recipe no.2: vegan moussaka 🍄🍆🥒🍠 I got this recipe from @bbcgoodfood and it's so good, would really recommend it! Basically you layer roasted aubergine, courgette and sweet potato slices with lentil/mushroom/tomato sauce and finish with vegan bechamel sauce on top. I also found it quite easy to make given I'm usually quite lazy when it comes to cooking! It's definitely a meal that uses up more ingredients, but you do end up with quite a lot of leftovers 😊🌿 #vegan #recipes #moussaka #mealideas #courgettes #aubergine #sweetpotato #veggie #vegetarian #stayathome #lowimpact #lowimpactmovement #yum
- Olive oil
- 1 aubergine
- 1 courgette
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 onion
- 150g chesnut mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 75g red lentils
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 vegan stock cube
- salt and pepper For the bechamel sauce
- 40g plain flour
- 400ml of vegan milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- grating of nutmeg
- 75g vegan cheese (I used vegan parmesan)
Method: 1) First slice the courgette, sweet potato and aubergine into long slices. Place on a baking tray, cover with olive oil, salt and put in the oven to roast for at least 30 mins.
2) While that’s roasting, make a mushroom/lentil/tomato sauce by slicing the onion and frying it in a pan with some olive oil. Slice the garlic and mushrooms, then add these to the pan when the onions start to soften. Once the mushrooms start to cook down, add the tomato puree and lentils and thyme. Then add a tin of tomatoes and a tin of water plus the stock cube. Leave to simmer so the lentils cook through.
3) Now make the bechamel sauce - put flour and milk into a saucepan and simmer on a low/medium heat, stirring constantly until it starts to thicken. Take it off the heat and add the vegan cheese, nutritional yeast flakes, nutmeg and salt + pepper.
4) By now, the lentils and roasted veg should be done. Get a dish and cover the bottom with the sweet potato slices. Then spread half the lentil sauce on top. Now add the courgette + aubergine slices. Spread the remaining lentil sauce on top of the veg and finally finish with the bechamel sauce!
5) Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins and the recipe recommends you leave it to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
This recipe make enough for 4 large portions! Also salad is a good side :-)